In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the tyger sleeps tonite! Death World Jungle II

So continuing on the heels of my first jungle post I have completed a few more pieces for the table.

This time I took a few of the ruins from the 3rd edition Warhammer 40,000 boxed set and used them to make some jungle ruins. As ever on this blog, the process is fairly simply but I am going to detail it anyway.

One of the intersting things about the vast jungle worlds of 40k is that they can contain just about anything. And with 40,000 years of history there ample space for cities to have grown and since vaned… and then overgrown with jungle!

The concept of ruins in the jungle kind of messes a bit with my idea of being able to remove all the terrain and replace it with burnt out pieces (as pitched in the original post). However, there is no reason to let an idea stand in the way of another idea. 😉

I am neither the first (nor the last, probably!) to have had the idea of using this particular set of ruins in a jungle context. A quick google for “gothic jungle ruins” gave me several examples… a nice bright one by sho3box for instance (go check that blog if you don’t know it! Fantastic stuff!).

Anyway lets move on to the wares!

Left: The collected jungle ruins. As you can see the setup is highly modular and you can construct several small “buildings” from the ruins. Right: here an example of a large building is shown. This would make an awesome scene of action in a scenario.

I am quite happy with the results. I would have liked to have more ‘small growth’ to add. I think I might go back and add some at a later point, if I scavenge some suitable pieces… a lot of aquarium plants are on the large side of what looks good.

A few detail shots of the pieces. I tried to add some “vines” from an IKEA plastic plant.

And as promised here are the excruciating details on the construction of the above!

Left: Bases are cut from MDF, the ruins are glued in place with No More Nails and undercoated in brown, and drybrushed with various sand tones to the intended finish (I just use half empty dry old paints). Right: a mix of PVA, NMN, chaulk, sand, and brown paint is made and added as a “gloop” on the bases.

Left: Once the gloop is dry it is drybrushed with earthy tones. Right: After drybrushing, the ruins are covered in various scatter flocks.
Lastly aquarium plants are glued in place with a hot glue gun. Voila!

KEEP ME GOING - POST A COMMENT!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s